Why I am going where I am going
I have been asked by some why I am moving. I am pursuing a Ph.D. degree for three primary reasons and a number of secondary ones. The main reasons include my desire to expand my influence on the emerging leaders of tomorrow’s church, to make a scholarly impact upon the church, specifically upon my church tradition, and to fulfill what has been a years-old vision for my personal life.
I taught Music Theory and Composition at Gordon College for a time. It was a successful and rewarding experience where I was well received and saw the impact that I was able to have on the lives of young adults. Through this experience, my teaching aspirations were confirmed. My experience left me with a greater desire to touch young lives for the kingdom of God. I presently work as the dean and primary teacher of a small local-church Bible school where I have the joy of collaborating with other men in ministry, teaching young adults the things of God and seeing them go on to serve in the world. I also work as the campus minister from our church to the four local colleges. In so doing, I am giving my life to teach and disciple young men and women who are at the threshold of adulthood and the leaders of tomorrow. Ultimately, I want to expand my circle of influence to the college aged leaders-to-be by serving the church through a faculty position at a Christian liberal arts college.
As a scholar in the charismatic tradition, I am aware of the need for teaching voices in a church culture that is largely pragmatically driven. It has been a desire of mine for over twenty years to be one of those voices. My goal is to serve the church by making a positive theological contribution to a stream that is conspicuously missions-minded and shore the underpinning of a passionate people.
Lastly, the vision of God’s path that accompanied his call pointed in the direction of teaching young adults. I see a Ph.D. as the next step of obedience to this vision. By taking this step I position myself to teach a broader group of people.
In addition to these major reasons, I would enjoy devoting more time to further study. I would like the opportunity to be sharpened by the acumen of the professors with whom I would study. I would also find it exhilarating to be challenged by a larger circle of scholars than I presently enjoy.
That is why I am going where I am going.
I taught Music Theory and Composition at Gordon College for a time. It was a successful and rewarding experience where I was well received and saw the impact that I was able to have on the lives of young adults. Through this experience, my teaching aspirations were confirmed. My experience left me with a greater desire to touch young lives for the kingdom of God. I presently work as the dean and primary teacher of a small local-church Bible school where I have the joy of collaborating with other men in ministry, teaching young adults the things of God and seeing them go on to serve in the world. I also work as the campus minister from our church to the four local colleges. In so doing, I am giving my life to teach and disciple young men and women who are at the threshold of adulthood and the leaders of tomorrow. Ultimately, I want to expand my circle of influence to the college aged leaders-to-be by serving the church through a faculty position at a Christian liberal arts college.
As a scholar in the charismatic tradition, I am aware of the need for teaching voices in a church culture that is largely pragmatically driven. It has been a desire of mine for over twenty years to be one of those voices. My goal is to serve the church by making a positive theological contribution to a stream that is conspicuously missions-minded and shore the underpinning of a passionate people.
Lastly, the vision of God’s path that accompanied his call pointed in the direction of teaching young adults. I see a Ph.D. as the next step of obedience to this vision. By taking this step I position myself to teach a broader group of people.
In addition to these major reasons, I would enjoy devoting more time to further study. I would like the opportunity to be sharpened by the acumen of the professors with whom I would study. I would also find it exhilarating to be challenged by a larger circle of scholars than I presently enjoy.
That is why I am going where I am going.
1 Comments:
The Church (universal, in the North Country) will definitely miss your presence here ... and many of us personally, too!
God bless you all as you pursue the passions He has placed in your hearts!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home