Saturday, March 26, 2005

The Resurrection of our Lord

I'm strangely suspicious that the theological implications to the resurrection of our Lord are the underdog of New Testament Theology. Most of the salvific work that people talk about centers upon the cross. The only time when the resurrection does get mentioned that I can think of is in connection with the Christian's future resurrection--since He rose, we will too. But I can't help but feel that we are missing something significant. The early church was very concerned about the resurrection. It's weaved into the fabric of New Testament Scripture.

I could mention observations about Jesus' deity, the proof it gave for the veracity of His propitiatory ministry, and other similar theological ramifications of His resurrection. But think with me. Jesus is the first-born of many brethren. He inaugurated the new creation that will be consummated on the Day. What profound implications are attached to that! We read that if anyone is in Christ he is a new creation/creature. In some way, it is because of the resurrection--not the cross--that we participate with Christ in the new creation, before the consummation. We participate in His death and now also his life. In Christ, in the living Christ. Yes, bondages are broken and sins forgiven because of the cross, but he abolished death and brought life and immortality light because of His resurrection. By the cross we are cleansed and by the resurrection we live new lives.

That's not all though. By the resurrection our ethical lives are renovated. We are not merely freed from sin, but live new lives spiritually and morally. Even physically there is an accrual of the earnest of our inheritance. Yes, healing is in part by His stripes, but also what Paul refers to as the quickening of our mortal bodies. We live in the new-creational tension of the already and the not-yet. Still walking on terra ferma but breathing heavenly air. Now that is living! And it only gets better. If it didn't, we are of all men to be most pitied.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kathleen Moulton said...

I think it was Eldon Wilson who recently guided my thoughts in this direction and your post certainly makes me pause and think about it more. It's so true. Little has been discussed among us on the resurrection. It's something that I'm going to pursue in my own reading/studying.

Great post.

7:54 AM CST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow, that's some good deep thinking. I think that I will have to read it a couple more times to really be able to grasp it fully.

6:04 PM CDT  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home